Easy to make and easier to eat, meatloaf is a good source of protein and iron. Using oatmeal in meatloaf is an effective way to add fiber and lighten this traditional dish.
1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef (85% lean)
3/4 cup Coach’s Oats® oatmeal
3/4 cup milk, 2% lowfat
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In large bowl combine beef, oatmeal, milk, egg, onion, salt and pepper.
3. Lightly scoop beef mixture into prepared loaf pan.
4. In small dish thoroughly combine ketchup, mustard and brown sugar.
5. Pour the sauce over meatloaf and spread evenly.
6. Bake for 1 hour.
7. Set on a wire rack for 3 to 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Note: For a softer meatloaf texture, split the oatmeal measurements evenly between Coach’s Oats® and rolled oats.