Friday is opening day for the 2012 Summer Olympics. We’re getting into the Team USA spirit and can’t wait to watch the athletes compete. Coach and Bonnie are partial to gymnastics and swimming, so you know we’ll be tuning in.
To perform their best, athletes rely heavily on nutrition. Here are tips on how to eat to like an Olympian:
- Don’t Diet (Fitness Magazine). Skipping meals and drastically lowering calorie intake can have a negative effect on an athlete’s performance.
- Kerri Walsh, two-time Olympic medalist in volleyball, makes it a point to eat every 3 hours to keep up her strength and endurance (Eating Well).
- Be selective of food you put into your body (Health Magazine).
- Kristin Armstrong, the second US woman to take home a gold medal in cycling, uses food as fuel and chooses a lot of fresh fruit and whole grains.
- Bryan Clay, two-time Olympic medalist in the decathlon, tries to ensure all the nutrition he can from food before taking supplements (Eating Well).
- Not surprisingly, the most common tip we found is to eat breakfast. Breakfast replenishes your body from low sugar levels and a fasting state, which is why a breakfast such as oatmeal is an excellent choice. The complex carbohydrates fuel your body without spiking blood sugar levels and provide a more constant release of energy.
- Armstrong states, “The most common breakfast I have seen among athletes is oatmeal.” (Health Magazine)
So, in honor of the Olympics and athletes’ most popular breakfast choice, we want to fuel team USA fans with the best oatmeal around. Send us an email to email@example.com letting us know what morning meal fuels you up. Bonus! Tweet or Pin a picture of your fueling breakfast and we’ll send you two samples for sharing.
(Tweet and be sure to include at @coachsoats, #coachsoats. Pin a picture to one of your Pinterest boards and email us the link).
*First 10 entries will receive a bag of Coach’s Oats signed by Coach. All entries will receive samples.
Limit 1 entry per fan.
Giveaway ends Friday, July 27, 2012 at 12 pm PST.
Great content, well written and informative. Will try oats for my breakfast.
I normally serve oats for breakfast and it’s fun to eat oats with some fruits!
Fitoru Keto says
This is why I so love oats in the morning! Thanks for sharing this information!
thanks to this article. I oftentimes have some oatmeal cookies and coffee for breakfast. Will try these breakfast ideas to ace my mornings moving forward.. 🙂