To many Americans, Super Bowl Sunday means football, snacks and funny commercials. However, at Coach’s Oats, Super Bowl Sunday can mean many things. Here is a list of “super” foods that can be combined with our oatmeal to make the perfect “Super Bowl” and start your Sunday in an oat-standing manner.
• Sweet Potatoes: Try this vitamin A-packed spud for more than just dinner. This orange veggie not only adds fiber and lycopene (a type of beta carotene) to your dish, it also adds unbeatable flavor.
• Walnuts: A delicious nut full of the “good” monosaturated fats. Walnuts also contain omega – 3s and fiber.
• Honey: A long-known remedy to treat wounds and ease your throat, honey also acts as an antioxidant to fight against free-radicals. The darker the honey, the better it is. See our “Oh Honey” post for more honey tips.
• Greek Yogurt: Get your protein and calcium in a one-stop shop. Not only will the protein help keep you full, the probiotics and cultures in the yogurt have added benefits to aide your digestion.
• Oranges: Along with vitamin C, oranges can also help lower cholesterol and blood pressure. A bonus: the benefits of orange juice and oatmeal are doubled when eaten together. See “Winning Oatmeal Combinations”.